Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Best of 2006

I'm not sure that I really have any business creating a "Best of 2006" post. I've been at this blog thing for just a couple of months and have a grand total of 5 posts. People that I read like Dennis Howlett generate more content than that before breakfast on a typical day. So I can't reference the best of my work, but will point to a couple of my absolute favorite lines from other blogs that I read.

Speaking of Dennis. He wrote the best one line description of a killer app that I have seen in a long time, though I'm not sure it exactly would work in marketing materials. If you've never been introduced to the product, you should know that Blogtronix is "the dog's nuts". I wasn't sure what to make of that description, but am neck deep in evaluating Blogtronix for the site I'm building and though I might have described it in a different way, I'd thus far concur with Dennis that Blogtronix appears to be the dog's nuts.

This will be a short list, of two best lines. My other favorite, while presented in the context of describing a vendor and it's product, is not quiet so flattering. I don't understand a lot of the industry jargon..but hey, a lot of people don't. That leaves room for marketing people at enterprise software companies, who incidentally are also often clueless as to the true meaning of the industry jargon, to abuse common buzzwords to their own benefit. One such vendor is Epicor who apparently now has a 100% SOA ERP app, years ahead of formidable companies like Oracle, SAP, and Microsoft who are trying to build such an app with infinitely more R&D resources than Epicor. Sure. Epicor in fact is not SOA, at least so says the author of SOA for Dummies, a much more reliable source than I.

In a post last May about vendors claiming to be 100% SOA Robin Bloor took Epicor to task for their absurd claim, and pointed out that the best they may claim to be is web services enabled, or SOA enabled, but Web services is not SOA. They are different. In fact, as Robin puts it, "Web Services is not SOA in the same way that a squirrel with a limp is not a rat with a hat on. They are not the same thing and they are not even close relatives." Great line.

So anyway. On to 2007, a year in which I'm not certain I'll be any more successful of a blogger than I have been thus far. I'll aim to do at least one more post next year than I did this (setting the bar low).

When I read the great thinking posted on blogs from the Enterprise Irregulars and people of their ilk, I can thus far conclude the following about my blogging experience.

I'm not sure yet if I'm good enough, it's entirely unclear whether or not I'm smart enough, and at this point I have no idea if people like me. I'll get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment